We love mexican in our family. Almost as much as we love Italian. So, tonight, as a different spin on things, I decided to make a Taco Bake instead of regular tacos.
1 medium Onion
2tsp EVOO (extra virgin Olive Oil)
1.5 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Taco Seasoning (either pack or make yourself)
8 flour tortillas
8 cups shredded cheese (28 oz)
2/3 cup of milk
1.5-2lbs hamburger meat
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Brown your hamburger meat and drain. Apparently there is a new movement where people rinse their cooked hamburger with water. Please do not do this. Use chicken instead or something, but do not ruin the meat.
3. Add meat back to the pan and add 1 cup of water and taco seasoning mix, bring to slight boil, reduce to medium heat and leave for 4 minutes.
4. Chop your onion into small cubes. I have this, and it's the only ASOTV item I have ever liked. Add 2tsp EVOO to pan and saute your onions on high heat until browned. Set aside.
5. Mix the milk and the cheese into a saucepan and cook until melted. Add Cayenne pepper and sauteed onions
6. Using 9x11 (or similar size) pan, butter spray the bottom lightly, and then add two tortillas, side by side. They will overlap, this is fine.
7. Spread 1/2 the meat mixture on top, covering to the edge
8. Cover meat mixture with 2 more tortillas, like you did the bottom.
9. Spread 3/4 cheese mixture on top, spreading till near the edge.
10. Repeat step 8
11. Mix remaining cheese with remaining meat and spread on top.
12. Lightly butter the top of the remaining tortillas, and place on top of meat and cheese.
13. Bake in oven for 15 minutes
14. Remove and let cool, topping with sour cream, shredded lettuce, and tomato. (even extra shredded cheese if wanted)
5 years ago