- Ham Bone w/some meat attached
- 1 small onion
- 4 bay leaves
- 12 whole peppercorns
- Parsley flakes or sprigs
- Enough water to cover the ham bone (in my pot, this is one gallon)
- OPTIONAL ingredients: Carrots and celery
1. Put together your stock pot (or crock-pot. Whichever you are using) and add ALL ingredients
2. Bring stock to boil, slowly stirring
3. Reduce to simmer for 4 hours
4. Remove the bone, onion, peppercorn, and leaves
(this is all that should be left to cool)
5. Let cool until "skin" forms on top, then skim the fat off
(nasty, isn't it?)
6. Pour into freezer safe Tupperware and mark with todays date. Good for 6 months!
This recipe makes 11 cups. I use it when I make Ham and Potato soup, and it comes out so much better with ham stock.